Round Start Check Box

... players & admins
... nade / m320 / RPG / SMAW spam
... server scripts
... problems with TeamSpeak
... anything else on our servers

Round Start Check Box

Postby ShrykeAbyss » Thu 16 Oct, 2014 8:48 pm

Could you please re-enable the round start check box on the BF4 servers? It helps immensely with balance as one team can't spawn before the other and ghost cap the majority of the flags. It also means players without SSDs stil have a chance at getting a vehicle. For the record, I have an SSD so this isn't just sour grapes, I genuinely prefer rounds where both teams get an even chance. I hope you give this some consideration, thank you.
ShrykeAbyss

Re: Round Start Check Box

Postby EBassie » Fri 17 Oct, 2014 12:21 am

The main reason I removed it was because we could not get the server started in the morning with 4 or 5 seeding accounts and 3 or 4 players joining.

The default minimum "readies" of 4 (2 per team) was causing issues because it took 180 secs for the round to start. So being able to turn it off made my day a lot easier.

Almost all of the players wanted it gone as well. You seem to be the only player that wants it back... ;)

I don't think it will help much with balance either.
At least I haven't seen any statistical evidence that the "ready up" was improving balance and was resulting in closer end tickets.

Our server already has a pretty good balance most of the time: thanks to the players and the settings of our balancer.

What I did notice was players going AFK (taking a toilet break or getting a drink) between rounds and it took 'for ages' to get enough "readies", which was pissing players off.

But let's see what happens when I set the minimum readies to 2 (per team) when server is above a certain population (32+). When it gets negative comments I will remove it again.
EBassie
Leader

Re: Round Start Check Box

Postby ShrykeAbyss » Fri 17 Oct, 2014 1:44 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. I understand why you turned it off, but would you consider turning the ready state on only when there are >48 players & changing the auto start time to, say, 60 seconds?

As far as balance goes, on most maps this isn't a problem, but some maps take 2 minutes to load on an HDD compared to 30 seconds on an SSD. Seige Of Shanghai is the most obvious example of this and it leads to rounds such as this: http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/ba ... 425000854/

I know that round looks close in terms of ticket count, but the way it actually played out was ~25 players on the US team spawned before there were ~10 players on the CN team, which lead to a ticket difference of ~100 while half of the US team were still in the spawn screen. Once the US team got established though, they had the advantage for the majority of the round but couldn't close the gap. Like I said, this is only really an issue on the vanilla maps which take far longer to load than the DLC maps.
ShrykeAbyss